Leah's Sewing Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Jan. 10, 2006

Shoshana doesn't feel well, and seems to need a lot of attention. I am not sure how much sewing I will get done today.

I did work some on my robes. If I can steal an hour away from her I can probably get them finished.

Goals for this week:
*Finish the two robes
*Test out the embroidery for the parachos (curtains) for the boys yeshivah.

Well, I can't believe it, but I finished both robes!!!! I spent most of the sewing time doing froggy sewing. First of all, the Kwik Sew instructions for this pattern stink. As far as putting in the zipper goes. They did not say to baste the front shut. Needless to say, my material rolled as I was putting in the zipper, and it looks awful. Never mind that the zipper and ribbing don't match well. I would have been better off using contrasting colors. I also had a hard getting the ribbing in. Well, not exactly. I pinned the ribbing in the feet and one had before I realized that I was not stretching the feet or arms at all. It looked so big. I pulled out the pattern piece, and great genius that I am, since I am making two robes, and the pattern piece said cut 2, I cut 4. Of each color for each robe. And sewed the together. And therefore my cuffs would have been twice as big! I am so glad I caught this mistake BEFORE I started serging!!! Anyway, that set me back another hour having to fix this mistake. I messed up slightly on my Shabbos robe as well. The neckline rolled. I did use wonder tape to get the top to stick, but I also had thought about using interfacing even though the pattern did not say to. I now wish that I had. I have to see how it feels before I decide if I want to try and froggy stitch that collar. It is almost impossible to pick out the stitches, since the thread is the exact same color and I used terry fleece for that robe.

Purple robe: overall satisfaction rating- * (not happy with my sewing or color choices)
Green Shabbos robe: overall satisfaction rating- *** (love the fabric, embroidery, and color choices, don't think I did my best sewing on it)

If you want to see more pictures, go to my yahoo album HERE.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home