Leah's Sewing Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Feb. 14, 2006

I have been so neglectful in writing in my blog. Shame on me!

I got my embroidery machine back last week. I stitched out the last tee shirt for my kids. (The "I'm the BIG brother/sister " shirts.) I am really not happy again with how it came out. I went in and fixed the design, so I thought. It is better, but not great. I don't understand why a design would stitch out absolutely perfect on a woven and so terrible on a knit. I also don't get why rotating the design would ruin it. Several of my baby blocks had their underlay stitches showing. Not good, but at this point, I no longer care.

I spent all day Sunday working on a quilt for the baby. I embroidered hearts on fabric to cut out for the between squares. I then printed pictures of Yossi onto fabric. I have this big thing that I want something of Yossi to wrap around the baby when they are born. With Shoshana I did a photo quilt, and was very happy. Except that I used Bubble Jet Set 2000, and over the last three years, it has faded terribly. I tried the fabric sheets by June Tailor (sp?). The pictures look fantastic. BUT, the directions say you can not wash the fabric with detergent. HUH? How am I supposed to clean this? Also, the fabric is sooo stiff. Next time I am not sure what I will use, but I am not pleased with either product.

Next, I had a dickens of a time piecing my quilt. The embroidery was too close to the seam allowance, and my machine had a terrible time going over it. It tended to pull the stitching to one side, making for seams that were not straight. It was very frustrating, especially since I was having contractions off and on, and I kept thinking ... I gotta hurry and get this done! LOL. Anyway, once the top was completed, I wanted to take the short cut of either bagging the quilt or using the back as the binding. But my good cyber-buddy Deanna said to make binding, it would be much nicer. So, I listened. I quilted the top. I messed up on the upper corners. I didn't think to check to make sure that the edges were still pulled tightly. The two corners where I started my stitching down the side pulled in a bit. I didn't realize this until I was going around the whole edge of the quilt to get it ready for binding. At that point it was too late to go back and fix it. I just wanted it done. My binding a drop too wide for my liking. (I used a 2 1/2" strip.) The sides buckle slightly. But, the quilt is done. I am not sure how happy I am, given all the little imperfections in it.
Overall project satisfaction: *** (Was going to give it two stars, but I am so glad I am done. I just don't like how stiff the pictures are. I also have a smalle problem with the sqaures between the squares. I am thinking of using my sewing machine to make a heart in each one to tack it down.)


Quilt top, laid out on the table.

Image hosting by Photobucket


Close up.

Image hosting by Photobucket


Another close up of a different part.

Image hosting by Photobucket


I learned how to do a miter border. Wasn't so hard, except for this one. LOL. Of course, this is the one I have to take a picture of, right???

Image hosting by Photobucket


Thanks for looking!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Feb. 1, 2006

No sewing really. I packed up my embroidery machine, and sent it off to the sewing machine doctor. I suspect I have a piece of thread caught up in it. Since this machine is now a year old (I saw on the box it was shipped Jan. 27, 2005), it is due for a cleaning anyway!

Here are two pictures of the stuff I have done for the paroches:

This is a scene of Jerusalem. It will go in the middle of the curtains.

The Bais Hamikdash looks stunning, because I did it on a shimmery organza fabric. It is still weird looking here because I didn't wash away the water soluble stabilizer.


So far I am pleased with how it is coming along. Now I need to get my embroidery machine back so I can finish working on it!